Thursday, June 30, 2011

Low Carb Bread



Who doesn't love the smell of fresh bread baking? Yum! It has to be one of my favorite smells. I have tried several times to make a really good loaf of low carb bread, but wasn't thrilled with the final outcome. After several failed attempts I finally got it right! This recipe makes a very tender bread with a light wheat taste. I used my bread machine to do the mixing and kneading, but you can do it the old fashioned way, by hand. If you use your bread machine, remove the dough after the kneading cycle. Don't let it rise in your machine, it will not rise well a second time.

This recipe makes about 16 slices of bread, about 5.5 carbs per slice. I multiplied this recipe by 1.5 and got two large 10" loaves, 32 slices with 4 carbs per slice. 

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups my Low Carb Flour Mix
  • 1 cup flax meal
  • 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 3/4 cup wheat germ (finely ground)
  • 1/2 tsp each guar and xanthan gums (optional)
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbls active dry or bread machine yeast
  • 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid powder (vitamin C)
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs beaten
  • 3 tbls oil

If your oven has a proof setting turn it on to heat the oven. If not, you can proof the dough in your microwave, I'll tell you how in a minute. In a microwave safe bowl, heat water and half & half until warm but not too hot. Stir in the yeast until completely dissolved. Add the oil, sugar and beaten eggs. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the remaining dry ingredients and stir well. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, adding more Low Carb Flour Mix if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, but be careful not to add too much flour. The more flour you add the heavier the bread will be. The dough should be a little tacky. Cover the dough and let rest for 15 minutes. Prepare a large l0" bread pan with non-stick spray. Oil the surface of the dough and add it to the pan, cover with a clean towel and place in your oven to rise. If you need to do the microwave proof method, take a coffee mug filled with water and bring it to a boil in the microwave, leave the mug inside and add the bread pan. Let the dough rise ONLY until it has doubled in volume, DO NOT let the bread rise too long, it will fall during baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, carefully place the bread pan inside and cook for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. To test for doneness, tap on the top of the crust, it should have a hollow sound. Take the bread out of the pan, place on a cooling rack and allow to cool until no longer hot before slicing. When completely cool, store in a bread box or cake keeper. Once you cut the bread, place it cut side down to retain freshness. Don't put you bread in a plastic bag, the will soften the crust and make it stale faster. I hope you enjoy this delicious bread! I am going to modify my pizza crust with this recipe in mind, so check back later for the revised recipe.

*Don't punch this dough down, it will not rise well a second time. 



Print Friendly and PDF

12 comments:

  1. That bread looks so yummy! I amimagining it is nice and warm, just out of the oven. Now I'm hungry!! Lol ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was forwarded your blog by a fellow low-carber and the recipes seem very easy and great results but I notice there's no carb info for any of them or am I missing something??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have posted the carb count for many of my recipes in the description section or the instructions. I should probably post the carb count after the ingredients list, that would make it easier to find. Thank you for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Move back to the beach. I am starving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is my butter?? I want to eat some now!!! Do you have anything for gluten free?? My oldest daughter was just diagosed and I'm finding it so hard to feed the family now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe! We love this bread! Do you have any other nutritional facts on it, like the calories, calories from fat, or the protein count? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is It supposed to be ground flax seeds or whole? I did whole and needed to add double the amount of baking mix to get it to dough consistency! I'm a terrible baker. lol Thanks for the recipie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kadi, thank you for catching that. It's supposed to be flax meal (ground flax). I like the golden variety, it has a milder flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How long should I let the dough raise in the oven before baking. Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to let it rise only until it doubles in size. The time can vary from 30 min to an hour, it all depend on the temperature in your home.

      Delete
  10. Hello, Thanks for the wonderful recipes, can you tell me how many carbs in oatmeal? Everything I see shows it to be very high carb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you are right oatmeal has quite a few carbs. They do digest slowly though so it doesn't spike your blood sugar too much. Oatmeal has about 27 net carbs per half cup.

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!