Thursday, July 28, 2011

Low Carb Chocolate Cake Doughnuts



I don't know about you, but I have really missed eating doughnuts! I have been working on a few doughnut recipes of my own and this one is really good. I was in heaven this morning, I finally had coffee and doughnuts again! I even bought this handy mini doughnut maker that cooks them in less than 3 minutes, it's awesome! I am working on a vanilla doughnut coated in coconut, I'll be posting that one soon too :)

The carb count can vary depending on the sweetener you choose. I used molasses, Xylitol and Splenda, yielding about 18 mini doughnuts with 2.5 carbs each.


Ingredients:

Doughnut Batter:
  • 2/3 cup Carbalose flour
  • 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 2 tbls vital wheat gluten
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar substitute or 1/2 tbls molasses with 1/2 cup Xyllitol or Erythritol powder
  • 2 tbls additional sweetener if needed
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tbls white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 tbls butter or oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp food grade vegetable glycerin (optional)
Glaze:
  • 4 tbls Xylitol or Erythritol
  • 3 tbls Splenda
  • 3 tbls coconut oil or butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbls heavy cream
  • 1 oz unsweetened chocolate (optional)
  • toasted unsweetened coconut (optional)
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
For batter, combine flours, gluten, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl combine, vinegar and half & half and let sit for a few minutes to thicken. Add the egg, oil or butter, vegetable glycerin, vanilla, and sweeteners to the half & half and mix well. Wisk this mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Add your batter to a prepared doughnut pan filling each 2/3 full. For large doughnuts bake for 12 minutes or until they spring back when gently pressed. For minis cook about 6-8 minutes or until done. Place them on cooling rack.

For the glaze, combine the sweetener, coconut oil or butter and cream. Microwave until it comes to a boil. Stir in the vanilla and add the unsweetened chocolate chunks if desired. If making chocolate glaze, allow the mixture to sit for 1 minute allowing the chocolate to melt and then stir well. Cool glaze slightly before dipping the tops of  your doughnuts, you don't want the glaze to run off. If you like, lightly sprinkle with colored candy pieces or toasted coconut. Let them sit for a couple minutes to allow the glaze to harden. I hope you try these, they are so good!





Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. OMG I wished you lived closer. I'll color for food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm...those look like they were made in a bakery. There's your new profession!! ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. I love hearing your thoughts and suggestions!